DIY: Gold Glitter Polka Dot Garland

Making the gold glitter polka dot garland below is much easier than you may think!
Just follow the simple steps below for a garland you'll be able to use over and over. 
With inspiration from The Glitter Guide I set out to find some twine since I already had all of the other supplies I needed on-hand.

Materials needed:
-Gold glitter paper (I had gold glitter wrapping paper left over from Christmas gifts--purchased at Michaels)
I saw a version a while back where you modge podge glitter onto cardstock but yikes, that seems like a lot more work!
-Cardstock (unless you're using thick gold glitter paper)
-Circular pattern or punch
-Pen/pencil for tracing (unless you're using a punch)
-Scissors
-Hot glue gun
-Glue sticks
-Modge podge and small brush or light adhesive
-Twine or string of your choice

I picked up gold and white baker's twine from the dollar section at Target, but I wasn't sure I'd have enough for this project, so I grabbed the best that Michaels had to offer.
Step 1. Choose a glass or something round to trace for your circles--no need for perfect lines here (they'll be cut off or covered up anyway). I chose a small fruit jar and the size was perfect.
Step 2. Cut out your circles.
Step 3. Trace the same circle or flip the glass over for a slightly smaller circle on cardstock, then cut out (unless you used heavier paper like scrapbook paper and you can skip steps 3-5).
Step 4. Apply a thin layer of Modge Podge or a light adhesive to the cardstock and stick the gold glitter circles on top.
Step 5. Use an X-Acto knife to trim any cardstock edges that may be sticking out.
Step 6. Hot glue gun twine of your choice to the back of the circles. I did a thin line across the middle then stuck the twine on. I spaced my circles about a half-inch apart. Be sure to leave extra string on each end for hanging and tying.
And don't be silly--do all gluing over a safe surface like newspaper.

Glitter Guide tip: Tape a penny just below the twine on the back of any polka dots that don't want to face the right direction. Works like a charm!

And voilĂ  that's it--
Three cheers to gold and glitter!

See the full NYE Bar Cart look here!

XOXO,
R

PS if that seemed like a lot of work for you, you can purchase the fully-made garland from MakeshopNYC!

Comments

  1. This is so pretty ,and you make it look so easy! I think I need to make one for my next party.

    Marlene
    Chiropractor Codes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment